Advil Poisoning in Dogs | Advil for Dogs

Tylenol and Advil is NOT ok to give to dogs, they contain other ingredients other than aspirin.
Photo provided by Flickr
Ibuprofen/advil is actually toxic to dogs and should never be used as a NSAID on them, same for acetominophen/tylenol. Aspirin is the only safe OTC NSAID that a dog can safely take....just thought you should be aware of that.
Aspirin and Advil for Pain Relief in Dogs - Assisi Animal Health
Photo provided by Flickr
Absolutely do NOT give the dog Advil/ibuprofen- it is extremely ulcergenic and trust me you don't want to deal with a dog with a stomach that has been blown apart (I've dealt with 2 too many, due to cancer, but same result). I know some people do it occasionally, but I've seen way too many deaths to consider it safe. You'd be better off with buffered aspirin. Call the vet and ask for a dose. Tylenol is not orally absorbed by dogs, so it wouldn't do any good. Ibuprofen(advil) for dogs? - GardenWeb
Photo provided by FlickrCan I Give My Dog Advil Or Tylenol? Pain Killers For Dogs.
Photo provided by FlickrDog Consumed Advil Pills - Dogs - MedHelp
Photo provided by Flickr
Dogs are highly valued. Dogs are much loved… even considered to be members of the family. Thus it is not surprising for an owner to be concerned with the well being of the pet. Dogs like humans would be off color one time or another. Dogs would be in pain due to injuries, due to a medical procedure or a medical concern. We humans would commonly reach for aspirin or Advil when we are in pain. Many people would think that what is safe for them is also safe for the dog. Are you one of the people with the same way of thinking? Would you give your dog ibuprofen for pain? Some dog owners would say yes, some would say no. Just as it would not be a good idea to share your medication with another person, human medication must not be given to animals too. A concerned dog owner may give a dog ibuprofen as an emergency pain relief but this drug can cause the pet more harm than good. Advil, Nuprin, Motrin are brand names of ibuprofen. This over the counter medication, similar to aspirin is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that is commonly used for immediate pain relief. The drug decreases fever as well. People suffering from arthritis routinely take ibuprofen as the drug reduces pain caused by inflammation. The production of prostaglandins in trauma related injuries is inhibited by ibuprofen and other NSAIDs, reducing inflammation and consequently easing the pain. Unfortunately, when inflammation is inhibited by prostaglandin, other body functions being done by prostaglandin such as protecting the lining of the stomach and ensuring normal blood flow in the kidneys are inhibited as well. Ibuprofen is a human medication specially formulated so that the human body would tolerate the drug. This is not so in the case of the dog. Because the drug metabolizes slowly, continued use would build up to levels that cannot be tolerated by the dog resulting to gastric ulcers and kidney damage. Ibuprofen is noted to cause acute renal failure in small dogs. An over dose of ibuprofen is fatal as it would poison the dog. Apart from being inquisitive, dogs are voracious eaters as well. Sugar coated ibuprofen would be yummy to the dog. Dogs have the propensity to chew and swallow edible and non-edible things. Imagine what will happen if the dog has managed to chew a packet of Advil. Typically, an Advil or a Motrin is available in 200 mg tablet, caplet or gel caplets. In some cases, a vet can recommend ibuprofen to the dog. A dog can safely have 2 to 4 mg per pound of body weight. This means that the dog should have a very small fraction of the pill. The dog can be poisoned by a well meaning dog owner who is trying to provide the pet relief from pain. Dogs and ibuprofen and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs of all forms can be a fatal mix. Dogs love eating many pills because of their sugar coating but what happens to them is dependent on their weight, the type of medication, be it Advil, Aleve, ibupofen, etc., and how long it has been since they consumed the pill. Even though your dog may not be immediately showing signs of intoxication, you must act fast and if the amount they ate requires an emergency hospital visit.That’s right you should never ever give Advil to your dog under any circumstance. Advil is used to treat fever and manage pain in humans and is easily available at drug stores as an over the counter medicine. But this medicine is seriously toxic for dogs as well as other animals like cats.