Garlic for Dogs | Is Garlic Safe for Dogs?

Then I read that garlic (not powder, but real garlic) is bad for dogs.
Photo provided by Flickr
The confusion surrounding garlic arises primarily from its close ties to the onion family. Onions have a high concentration of thiosulphate, a substance that can trigger hemolytic or Heinz body anemia in dogs, a condition where circulating red blood cells burst. When it comes to onions, a single generous serving can cause this reaction.
Garlic for Dogs: Soooo many benefits... Can be used as a safe and natural flea and tick repellant
Photo provided by Flickr
A 2008 report published by the National Research Council, meanwhile, is more conservative in its dosage information. While the committee that prepared the report was unable to determine the safe upper limit of garlic intake for dogs and cats, it used “available research to recommend a range of acceptable intakes according to historical safe intakes (HSI) and estimated presumed safe intakes (PSI)”. Which foods your dog can and cannot have. I've heard arguments from both sides on garlic!
Photo provided by FlickrHere are some ways garlic helps keep your dog healthy:
Photo provided by FlickrWhat's the consensus? Is garlic powder OK for dogs, or is it bad for them?
Photo provided by Flickr


Numerous medical studies show how garlic juice reduces cholesterol and helps the heart.
Worldwide people take garlic pills, eat garlic cloves and spray garlic juice on food for good health.

For dogs it does even more:
1. Keeps dogs from having worms and gets rid of worms that are there.
2. Keeps fleas and ticks off dogs by getting into the dog's system and creating
a garlic odor that fleas and ticks detect and avoid the dog altogether.
(Don't worry, your dog won't smell like garlic. Humans can't detect
the garlic odor on the dog but the insects sure will!)
3. Reduces a dog's cholesterol level for good heart function.

Garlic Juice is easiest way to give garlic to your dog, here's how most kennels and dog owners do it:
Spray or pour garlic into the dog's food, mix well into the food.

Here's the recommended daily dosage:

5-20 lb. dogs - 4 sprays or 1/4 ounce in food daily.
21-50 lb. dogs - 6 sprays into food and mix well.
51 lbs. and over dogs 8 sprays into food and mix well.

If, for some rare reason your dog will not eat food with the garlic juice in it, mix the garlic
juice with soybean oil (available in the cooking oil section at your local supermarket) and mix
into food - this also helps make a very nice coat on the dog.

Say goodbye to poisonous flea collars! Mother Nature has provided a safe and all-natural
alternative - farm fresh garlic juice!
If you suspect your dog or cat have onion poisoning or garlic poisoning, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline for treatment recommendations.Onions, garlic, chives, and leeks are in the Allium family, and are poisonous to both dogs and cats if the dose is right. Garlic is considered to be about five times as toxic as onions for cats and dogs. Certain breeds and species seem to be more sensitive: Japanese breeds of dogs (e.g., Akita, Shiba Inu) and cats. Onion and garlic poisoning results in oxidative damage to the red blood cells (making the red blood cells more likely to rupture) and gastroenteritis (e.g., nausea, oral irritation, drooling, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea). Other clinical signs of anemia may be seen, and include lethargy, pale gums, an elevated heart rate, an increased respiratory rate, weakness, exercise intolerance, and collapse. Onion and garlic poisoning may have a delayed onset, and clinical signs may not be apparent for several days. While minute amounts of these foods in some pets, especially dogs, may be safe, large ingestions can be very toxic.What is garlic?
Garlic is a member of the Allium family, a genus of flowering plants that also includes onions, chives and leeks. Allium plants contain components called disulfides (disulfides are any chemical compound containing two sulfur atoms per molecule). Disulfides have been implicated as toxic for animals including dogs, cats and horses. N-propyl disulfide is considered the primary toxic disulfide.